Calor gas heater (unflued) safe in room?

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
Hannahmilky

Calor gas heater (unflued) safe in room?

Post by Hannahmilky » 20 Nov 2019, 12:30

Hi, bit of a random one. We temporarily have a calor gas heater in the lounge where our hermanns resides. (For us, not the tortoise!) was just wondering if the fumes from it are safe for a tortoise? I’m not keen on the gassy smell myself if I’m honest. Feel like I have a headache!
Attachments
image.jpg

Nina

Re: Calor gas heater (unflued) safe in room?

Post by Nina » 20 Nov 2019, 12:45

Gosh, I really don't know. I used to have one very much like that, but it was before I had a tortoise. Maybe someone else will know, and I'll try and do some research and get back to you.

Nina

lin

Post by lin » 20 Nov 2019, 12:49

Hi Hannah,

Lin and I have just been talking, and we think that basically it is probably fine to have a calor gas heater in the room with Ball Toto, as long as the room is reasonably ventilated. But if you are actually getting headaches from the heater then that doesn't sound good and I wonder if the heater is defective in some way. Basically we think that if you are OK with the calor gas heater in the room then the tortoise should be OK too, but it is important that the room is well ventilated (but I think that going in and out of the room and opening the door as you do so will bring adequate ventilation in.

Hope that helps,

Nina and Lin

Hannahmilky

Post by Hannahmilky » 20 Nov 2019, 19:24

Hi thanks for the reply, can’t see your other reply but I’m sure it said something about size of room? Is roughly 14x11ft or so. But definitely well ventilated. Like I said it’s only temporary and we’re hoping to move before xmas either way to a much warmer house!

Nina

Post by Nina » 20 Nov 2019, 21:05

Oh dear -- I can see that Lin's post isn't there now! I think that what happened was that I overwrote her original reply by mistake, instead of posting a new one -- very strange, and a true senior moment! What she had said was that if you are finding the fumes from the heater difficult then it probably isn't good for the tortoise either, and if you wanted, she could suggest a different type of heating (but I think she thought you were using the calor gas heater to heat the tortoise's room and didn't realise that it was your lounge and the heater was for you). She re-read the email and then we spoke on the phone. Sorry for that!

Nina