Are ultrasonic spider repellant plug ins safe for tortoises?

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
Laurak77

Are ultrasonic spider repellant plug ins safe for tortoises?

Post by Laurak77 » 23 Sep 2017, 22:12

I absolutely hate spiders and have been looking at getting some of the ultra sonic spider repellant plug ins, but i wanted to make sure they are safe to be around tortoises that are in the house.?
I had tried the sprays around the windows, but iv started getting damp in the window frames so need to keep my windows open more to air it out, but dont want the spiders coming in. Does anyome know if the ultrasonic plug ins are safe for tortoises to be around, and also if its ok to maybe use some essential oils that may repel them too?

Many thanks for any help.
😄

Nina

Re: Are ultrasonic spider repellant plug ins safe for tortoises?

Post by Nina » 23 Sep 2017, 22:50

Hi Laura,

What an interesting question! We need to look into this a bit more and get back to you, but my first thought is that it might be OK, as tortoises are said to not respond to high frequency sounds much at all, and have better hearing with lower frequencies (and some think they can hear lower frequencies than humans can). Ultra sound is quite a high frequency (higher than we can hear), so it might be fine, but I want to check it out more thoroughly first.

I think I might be more concerned with the essential oils, but it probably depends on which oil you are talking about. Do you have particular oils in mind?

What are you spraying around the windows, and are the windows near the tortoise? If you are spraying insecticides around the windows then you must be very careful, as tortoises are extremely sensitive to insecticides and they can be lethal for them.

It is that season, isn't it? I've seen loads of spiders around lately. They don't bother me much (although I wouldn't want to share my bed with one!).

Nina

lin

Post by lin » 23 Sep 2017, 23:12

Another view on this Laura -- Imagine how many flies you would have if it wasnt for the spiders :lol:

No seriously, have you thought about netting the windows with mesh so spiders cant get in. I know that is going to be of little help but I dont think there is anyway to stop spiders getting in. Arm yourself with one of those catchers like below and remove what you see.
I have cats and I have to say since I dont know when I havnt seen a spider in my house and when I do its not for long.

Lin

[attachment=0]$_35.JPG[/attachment]
Attachments
$_35.JPG
$_35.JPG (9.31 KiB) Viewed 6936 times

Heather

Post by Heather » 24 Mar 2018, 11:05

Spiders - AGH - talking large, fast moving 'house spiders' esp. in September when the males (I believe) go walkabout in search of females. Like many, these are my Achilles(!!) heel, although I have found that caring for & handling 'pink winged stick insects' has desensitised me to smaller spiders. These are sizeable, & can walk fast (with their 6 legs), which, to my eyes, move very similarly to spiders. (They are also beautiful in flight!)

The most effective reduction of the large spider visitors I have discovered by accident, is allowing 'cellar spiders' to proliferate in my cottage. These are the 'daddy long-legs' type (not the flying crane flies, or 'harvest spiders') that tend to build an incoherent web in ceiling corners, &, if disturbed, they vibrate(!).

Google images makes them look horrendous, but as an Arachnophobe of many years standing, I have come to tolerate these 'bad boys' who eat house spiders for breakfast!!!

Firmly touching wood - I haven't seen a large house spider in my cottage for a couple of years. I haven't looked in every dusty nook, but the cellar spiders have worked magic!

Heather

Nina

Post by Nina » 25 Mar 2018, 10:35

Ooh, I didn't know that those 'cellar spiders' ate the house spiders! Thanks for the info, Heather. I'm a bit like you about spiders (lol, I think I don't trust an animal that has more arms and legs than I do). I do try to catch them and put them outside though, rather than kill them. Lin loves spiders and if I remember correctly she happily allowed a false widow spider (she'll correct me if I'm wrong) to build a nest and flourish in her house).

Nina