New tort owner

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
Theresa

New tort owner

Post by Theresa » 15 Jul 2017, 13:20

I have just been given two tortoises and know their history of 4 years. Anything before that is a bit sketchy.
Is there anybody that could give a guess on age and sex?
Attachments
IMG_3196.JPG
IMG_3169.JPG

Nina

Re: New tort owner

Post by Nina » 15 Jul 2017, 13:59

Hi Theresa and many congratulations on your two new tortoises (and congratulations also on what looks like a grass area full of juicy weeds for them to eat).

It's almost impossible to tell the age of a tortoise (the birth date is the only safe way), but they are neither babies nor do they look particularly old (others might give a better guess than I can).
The tortoise closest to the camera is a female from what I can see. I can't see the tail of the other tortoise clearly enough, but that tortoise also might be female. Could you send us a close-up of the other tortoise that clearly shows its tail? If they are two females then that is very good, as they will almost certainly be able to live happily together (a male and a female often either have to be separated or you need two or three females for every male, because of the stress caused by the male constantly harrassing the female).

If you need a care sheet or any other advice on care and accommodation, do let us know.

Best wishes,
Nina