Marginated

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
Jess

Marginated

Post by Jess » 22 Sep 2019, 12:28

Hi,

We have a marginated tortoise, hatch date 2018.. we believe is its a boy, but know the sexing isn’t guaranteed.. Shellington seems to like jumping and nose diving off things, like his bridge in his enclosure (indoors). I am always finding him on his side/back and tend to put him the right way.. he has a wooden enclosure equipped with a lamp, bridge, cuttle fish, and a herb plant..food water etc.

Is the diving /jumping normal behaviour? And putting him the correct way should i be doing that or letting him learn (he is still so small probably about 3 inches long)

Thanks

Nina

Re: Marginated

Post by Nina » 22 Sep 2019, 12:42

Hi Jess,

Love the name Shellington! Yes, it is completely normal behaviour (well, I don't keep Marginateds, but my Horsfields love nothing better than to climb up the bendy log thingy in their enclosure and slide down the other side). He should be able to right himself, especially if there is something nearby that he can push against, so even thought it is excruciating watching them try to right themselves, give him a little while and see if he can do it himself (for all you know, he has righted himself in the past when you haven't been around to pick him up and put him the right-side up).

The only real danger comes if they end up on their back under the heat lamp and then can't right themselves, as they can get dehydrated quickly. So the best thing is to have his 'climbing frame' not directly under the light.

Have a go at letting him right himself, and let us know how you get on. Have attached a photo of my Dolly climbing her bendy log thing, in preparation for skiing down the other side!

Nina

Nina[attachment=0]IMG_9953 (Copy).JPG[/attachment]
Attachments
IMG_9953 (Copy).JPG

Jess

Post by Jess » 22 Sep 2019, 13:17

Thanks Nina yea it isnt near his lamp - my pics seem
To be too large to attach x

Nina

Post by Nina » 22 Sep 2019, 13:31

Can you reduce them in size? If not then just email them to me at nina@thetortoisetable.org.uk and I will reduce them and post them for you.

Nina

Jess

Post by Jess » 22 Sep 2019, 17:27

Thanks nina. Have sent an email

Nina

Post by Nina » 22 Sep 2019, 19:02

Jess has sent me photos of the very handsome Shellington, but they were too large to post, so I've re-sized them and posted them here. I think everyone will agree that he (or maybe she) is absolutely gorgeous and looks to be full of personality too! He weighed 30g when she got him in June and weighs 32g now, so nice slow growth, which is ideal. He's got a lovely set-up and a good diet too, so I think he is very lucky to have found a home with Jess.

Nina[attachment=6]m_Shellington1.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=4]m_shellington3.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=5]m_Shellington2.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=3]m_shellington4.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=2]m_shellington5.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=1]m_shellington6.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=0]m_shellington7.jpg[/attachment]

Nina
Attachments
m_shellington7.jpg
m_shellington6.jpg
m_shellington5.jpg
m_shellington4.jpg
m_shellington3.jpg
m_Shellington2.jpg
m_Shellington1.jpg

lin

Post by lin » 24 Sep 2019, 19:31

Aww, what a beauty Shellington is, and I do love the name - lol
His setup looks amazing too, perfect if you ask me.

Lin