Hint of red in urine

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
Heather

Hint of red in urine

Post by Heather » 07 Nov 2018, 20:07

Hi - should I be concerned? Twice now I have seen a hint of red in Achillea's urine. In herself she is fine & dandy & normal. She free-ranges indoors, having her own preferred areas & her UV light in a warm area. She is eating slightly less this month. She does like purple pansies, so I wonder if there's a connection? I wear mauve plastic shoes in the house, & she seeks them out for a nibble :roll: !

She just nipped my ankle :o !!

Heather

lin

Re: Hint of red in urine

Post by lin » 07 Nov 2018, 20:15

Ahhh. Thats what it is then Heather. She has eaten your shoes or she is a vampire tortoise !!! :lol: :lol:

No seriously though I know that dandies will turn uring pink and other plants will do the same so I agree perhaps the putple in the pansy is the cause.
Just keep a watch to make sure it returns to normal in a day or two other wise we will have to remove the pansys to see if that works.
Keep us posted though.

Lin

Heather

Post by Heather » 07 Nov 2018, 20:54

Thanks Lin - I remember my panic some years back when my first rabbit - a discarded buck - pee'd bright red up the walls! Normal in rabbits..... :shock:

lin

Post by lin » 07 Nov 2018, 21:15

Wow, no thank you Heather. My rabbit pee'd red once and I left it a week before taking her to the vet as she seemed fine toll one day her eyes told me different. She died ten mins after getting to the vet. That horrid desease is so quick. I however put it down to me not taking her sooner because of the pee - We also have foxes in the garden. I have a terrible guilt trip over that but you have made me feel much better now.

Lin

Heather

Post by Heather » 08 Nov 2018, 10:54

I had my current rabbits vac'd for the first time recently - there's a no.2 strain of RHD, also known as VHD2, & I know it's now local. I lost my first gorgeous 'discarded' Fluffy white buck to a badger....if only I'd gone out to put them in just a couple of minutes earlier...I totally understand the unending guilt trip....

Back to Achillea - she didn't lay any eggs this season (laid only once since I've had her - 2 summers ago - aged 9) - should this worry me? I've seen no hint of digging, & during summer she is outside on ground she could have a go at digging if needed.

Heather

Nina

Post by Nina » 08 Nov 2018, 11:51

Hi Heather,

RE Achillea's eggs, it is possible that she laid them outdoors and you never saw them? Do you monitor her weight (if she gains 60 or 70g and then loses it quickly, it is a possibility. The only reason I ask is that after tortoises dig a nest they cover it up and pat the soil down with their rear legs and honestly you would never know that any digging had been done at all. The eggs are usually laid about as deep as the tortoise is tall (if the were standing upright on their hind legs). My Doris lays indoors every year, in a large washing up bowl that I fill with soil, and there is no way that I would know she had dug a nest and laid eggs if I didn't actually see her do it. LOL, you might be digging in the garden next spring and find a clutch of eggs that you didn't expect!

Nina