Bernards new outdoor enclosure

Use this forum to discuss any aspect of tortoise housing and enclosures. Upload and show pictures of your set ups (enclosures).
Jesscar6

Bernards new outdoor enclosure

Post by Jesscar6 » 15 Apr 2017, 16:47

Still a working progress and the sides need raising but he enjoyed exploring it today :)
Attachments
dsc_0927.jpg

lin

Re: Bernards new outdoor enclosure

Post by lin » 15 Apr 2017, 17:35

I bet Bernard has been enjoying that. It looks fabulous.

Lin

Nina

Post by Nina » 15 Apr 2017, 18:11

That looks brilliant! I would definitely raise the sides though, as he will use those pots that are up against the sides as a ladder to climb up, over and out! He looks like he is having a great time today, and I love the different textures you've put in there for him to walk on.

I'm sure you've thought of all this, but just in case, a few questions. Does that enclosure have a bottom to it, or is it sitting on the earth with no bottom? It's just that if it has a bottom then you need to drill holes in it in case of sudden heavy rain as it could flood, and if it has no bottom and is sitting on the earth then there is a possibility that Bernard could burrow under and out (Horsfields are a burrowing species), so just sink some bricks or vertical paving slabs into the ground about a foot deep to prevent him from tunnelling out.

I do think you've made him a very posh outdoor enclosure!

Nina

Jesscar6

Post by Jesscar6 » 15 Apr 2017, 18:35

Yeh the sides are being raised this weekend. His scared of heights so I don't think he would climb out because of the drop. He was just curious as to what's the otherside today.

And there is a bottom to it and we have a clear sheet cover to stop the rain flooding it. Also have a grilled lid to stop cats and other animals getting to him in the day and using it as a letter tray.

Helen

Post by Helen » 15 Apr 2017, 18:43

Jesscar6 wrote:
> Yeh the sides are being raised this weekend. His scared of heights so I
> don't think he would climb out because of the drop. He was just curious as
> to what's the otherside today.
>
> And there is a bottom to it and we have a clear sheet cover to stop the
> rain flooding it. Also have a grilled lid to stop cats and other animals
> getting to him in the day and using it as a letter tray.
Attachments
IMG_2086.JPG
Just testing uploading for Nina
Helen

Jesscar6

Post by Jesscar6 » 18 Apr 2017, 13:51

All completed for now!
Attachments
rsz_1dsc_0929.jpg

lin

Post by lin » 18 Apr 2017, 16:49

Looking good Jessica. Well done.

Lin

Nina

Post by Nina » 23 Apr 2017, 16:59

I think that looks absolutely super, Jessica -- well done, and it was really very well thought out! Just one question about the covering to keep off the rain -- what material is it? If it is just ordinary plastic, etc. then the UVB won't come through, but if there are special types of polycarbonate that will let UVB through. I suppose you don't have to put that cover down very often anyway, so it wouldn't be a problem
It really is a lovely little table!

Nina
P.S. Oops, Lin has just pointed out that the table with the plastic rain shield is Helen and not yours! LOL -- I just missed it because it was your post in the text box and then the photo, but I should have looked at who posted it. I still think your table looks amazing though (lol and very similar to Helen's!).