Type of basking light and fittings for outdoors?

Use this forum to discuss any aspect of tortoise housing and enclosures. Upload and show pictures of your set ups (enclosures).
den2908

Type of basking light and fittings for outdoors?

Post by den2908 » 15 Mar 2022, 16:48

I have two female Hermann tortoises and I'm looking for some advice about the types of basking lamps and fittings for outdoor use.

I am in the process of updating their outdoor enclosure and am so excited about it as It's something I've been saving for for a while!😀 We have builders making a brick enclosure with mesh lidded panels 13ftx7ft. They have a large coldframe with UV penetrating glazing raised on a couple of courses of bricks to give me space to add a basking lamp. It's all looking great!

I have an electrician putting in the electric cables down the garden and into the coldframe in the next week or so. So my question is.. once he has put the electric box with the sockets inside the coldframe do I then just use the normal basking bulbs, thermostat and fittings that I would use indoors or is their something specific for outdoor use. I'm worried what will happen if they get damp. Do they need to be put in a waterproof box? I haven't a clue and I know the electrician is going to ask me these questions soon. If you've got any advice or links to products then I'd be really grateful.

Thank you

Denise
(and torts Mabel and Daphne)

lin

Re: Type of basking light and fittings for outdoors?

Post by lin » 18 Mar 2022, 18:42

Hi Denise
I bet Mable and Daphne are going to love it outside in their new enclosure.
Regarding the lights and bulbs, the answer is yes, the same as for indoors because you got a proper leccy to do the electrics and they are all watertight using the same is good.
I can’t wait for a photo with the tortoises in situ.
Sorry for the late response Denise but some of our posts are not notifying us and we rely on people telling us.

Lin

Nina

Re: Type of basking light and fittings for outdoors?

Post by Nina » 18 Mar 2022, 20:49

Hi Denise, and many apologies from me too for the late reply -- we weren't notified of your post and are trying to remedy the situation.
To add to what Lin said, I think that I would put any connections (where timers or plugs go into sockets) in a waterproof box, as that is where it could be most dangerous if you had a leak and water got in. And of course use an appropriate electric cable for outdoor use.The main thing is to ensure that the cold frame is waterproof in the first place.

Will your lamps be on thermostats? The reason I ask is that it can get really hot inside a coldframe, even in cold weather, if the sun is shining on it, and you don't want the tortoises to overheat in there (although if they can have access to a cooler area that should be fine).

Nina