Thermostat??

Use this forum to discuss any aspect of tortoise housing and enclosures. Upload and show pictures of your set ups (enclosures).
Bec

Thermostat??

Post by Bec » 20 May 2021, 13:44

We are going away and leaving baby fern for the 1st time under the neighbors care! (Just 4 days)
We currently have a uv and a heat lamp in her table. We don’t however have a thermostat- but I’m wondering if this would be a good idea. Excuse my ignorance but Is the idea that if it gets too hot the thermostat switches lamp off for a bit then back on when cooled down?
I’m worried about her getting stuck on her back when we aren’t around as much to keep an eye out.
Also wondering if people ever put the lights/heaters on a plug timer - meaning neighbors don’t need to turn on and off but just do bathing and food.
Hope my question actually clear!!
Bec.

Nina

Re: Thermostat??

Post by Nina » 20 May 2021, 14:13

Hi Bec,

It's always a bit stressful when you go away for the first time, but you're asking all the right questions.

Yes, you're right that a thermostat will measure the temperature in the table (I would have the probe as near to the light as possible, because that is the warmest place), and it will turn the lamp/heater on or off, depending on the temperature you set. The only exception to this is if you are using a mercury vapour combined heat/light and UVB bulb as they cannot be used with a thermostat. Any other lamp can be used, but NOT the combined heat/light/uvb ones. I can't remember if you can set them to turn off when it gets too hot (lol, I live in a cold house), as I have always just set a minimum so that they turn on when the temperature falls below a certain level, but I expect you can set both.

I have my lamps on timers (ordinary heat and light and fluorescent UVB tube) all the time, and it's great because you don't have to remember to turn them on and off. I just use the ordinary timers you can buy at Homebase and places like that https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... tric+timer

I ususally only go away for about four or five days, and I find you can leave individual bags of food in the fridge for each of the days. I just pick the leaves and flowers and put them in a sealable bag along with a wet paper towel, and they will keep for up to about five days, and my neighbour can just come in once a day and easily feed them.

Hope that helps, and let me know how you get on.

Best,
Nina

Bec

Post by Bec » 20 May 2021, 14:22

Thanks Nina, very reassuring.
It’s a separate heat lamp so thermostat should be fine and I’m glad about timers as it’s one less thing for them to worry about - although they are perfectly capable!
Xxx

Nina

Post by Nina » 20 May 2021, 16:23

Hope you have a great time away, and after you return I think you'll find that having the lamp on a timer is one less thing to worry about too.

Nina