Heat/Light set-up

Use this forum to discuss any aspect of tortoise housing and enclosures. Upload and show pictures of your set ups (enclosures).
Bex

Heat/Light set-up

Post by Bex » 01 Apr 2020, 10:48

Hi guys,

It’s time to set up Speedy’s outside house and I’m obviously worried cos of what happened last year! I’m gonna put a wire grill across, a couple inches under the heat lamp, to prevent anything touching it etc... but I was wondering if these will be any good! It seems to deal with light and heat at same time, what do you think?

Have I picked the right daylight bulb? Have you got any other recommendations?

Thanks, Bex x
Attachments
8F040FBF-49E9-4578-82D9-B7952341FE12.jpeg
03B06102-5ADD-4BEC-996F-516B0F986317.jpeg
06F24430-0290-4778-83F7-965F0A210D79.jpeg

lin

Re: Heat/Light set-up

Post by lin » 01 Apr 2020, 12:58

I am sure you have already seen this Bex, but incase you havn't have a look and see what you can find that may help.

https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/tor ... /outdoors/

I personally have always prefered the full spectrum fluorescent UVB tube plus a separate bulb for additional heat and light as in the first photo of this article rather than the combine but that is up to you and the space you have.
https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/tor ... r-housing/
The reason I prefer this is because it coveres a much larger area but it would need to be on the inside area of the outside enclosure (but you know that, dont you :oops: )
For the night times, yes you will need the ceramic heat or even a tubular heat emitter. I find these quite safe and longlasting and never had any issues with mine. Something like this in a bedding area that can be plugged into a thermostat. Cheap to run too and this one is a good price.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hausen-Electri ... p_pl_dp_14
I just found a photo that might help.

Lin
[attachment=0]ec9c66cbba95938e46fe8288c1e89f9c.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
ec9c66cbba95938e46fe8288c1e89f9c.jpg

Nina

Post by Nina » 01 Apr 2020, 15:06

Hi Bex,

Re your specific question about the lights and the holder, I think that could work OK. The ceramic heat emitter will be good for night time. The bulb (natural light, etc.) that you suggested for light might not be so good though. It's only 25W, so the light won't be very bright, and from what I can see from the Exo Terra website it is only UVA and doesn't produce UVB (but it was unclear on their website which model this was http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/natural_light.php .
If Speedy will be outdoors most of the time and this is only for warming up in the morning, then it's probably not that important to have the UVB in there, but if he is indoors for any length of time then you do want it. Also, will the CHE be on a thermostat? Just wonderiing if it is very hot at some point then it might be making it too warm. Presumably it will be on a timer? Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you want for the set-up.

Nina

Bex

Post by Bex » 01 Apr 2020, 18:35

Ok I’ve had to buy another shed, like the last one as my brick layer seems to have disappeared and I’ve been waiting months! Doubt he’ll turn up now either cos we’re in lockdown. But I’m doing it differently as it ended in disaster last time :(

Inside is 1 metre square, approx 1.5 m high....it has a wide shelf (that doesn’t impact any living area) to put the plugs/thermostat etc. I was gonna put a wooden beam across the top to hang the lamp dome from and then do a wire shelf underneath that so no accidents can happen again. So really looking to save space.

Would the Hasen heater replace a heat lamp? And then I get a uvb fluorescent strip light to go on the opposite wall and have nothing hanging... last year she spent a lot of time in the shed and I only had a heat lamp, so thinking this year will need a uvb too! This is for the Sulcata and she needs to be kept as warm as possible. Or do I have a uvb strip on one wall, the greenhouse heater on the opposite wall for nights and a daylight intense heat dome hanging for day?

I have a double thermostat from when Tinys run was next to the dragon vivarium, does the Hasen light work with a separate thermostat or does it have its own?

Thanks, Bex x

Bex

Post by Bex » 01 Apr 2020, 21:58

Actually if I have the door facing the sun, lucky I have south facing garden, would this be enough sunlight when she’s in the shed, I always have the door open during the day? Also if I have the plastic strips hanging, Will that stop the natural uv coming thru? x

lin

Post by lin » 01 Apr 2020, 23:23

Hi Bex.
Would you mind if I get back to you tomorrow on this as I have some questions I need clarifying before offering answers, and also would you be able to take a photo of the shed you are going to use or show one that is similar if you havnt already got it.

Lin

lin

Post by lin » 02 Apr 2020, 14:48

Hi Bex.

Have you already brought the shed and the dimentions you gave (1x1mtr x 1.5 high) is correct?
Regarding sulcatas and the hight of the shed it really does need to be somewhere large anough to obtain an nice ambient temp, all over and a heat spot reaching 30°C (as you already know) sorry but I feel like I am teaching a granny to suck eggs here so do forgive me for saying things you already know. I dont feel that will be high enough and the shed will need to go on a layer or two of breeze blocks and the bottom being removed from the 1.5mtrs you have to that it is much deeeper to be able to hang a heat source from without any dangers.
Speedy is quite large now and over the next year to 18 months you are going to see a rather large growth spurt so maybe think about a much larger outside area/shed.
Do you have anywhere inside for Speedy to go during the winter? I do think that because your shed is not insulated all round including the roof you will not be able to obtain the heat needed and it would cost a lot in electric to try.

These heat lamps do get very hot and I am concerned that there could be a danger of being in a wooden enclosure there could be a heat build up during the milder weather.

The hausen greenhouse/airing cupboard tubular heat emitter is not to replace the heat light Bex, it only omits heat and no light. The heat is a good booster for when the temps drop to low, for overnight or in the sleeping area for all night. Its a low running cost thing that does good for heating with no light and can be used at the same time as a light for aditional heat. It will need its own thermostat.
So in all you will need - a uvb strip on one wall, the greenhouse heater on the opposite wall for nights (and during the day if heat is needing a boost and a daylight intense heat dome hanging for day?

A few questions Bex.

Where will Speedy go during cold summer snaps. Do you have somewhere indoors for him?

Bex, How big is the doorway going to be to allow the sun in. If its full size it will let any heat out and if only big enough to fit Speedy in (smallish square type) then it will not allow enough UVB in. Also if smallish then Speedy will fast outgrow it, remember that - lol.

If you can manage a much bigger shed then the housing area can house the bright heat lights and UVB strip, and you can have an internal bedding area for the Hausen tubular heat emitter for night time heat.

Ok. I think I have gone on enough Bex. So sorry but if I have missed anything then do give me a shout.

Lin

Bex

Post by Bex » 02 Apr 2020, 22:41

Hi Lin, as much as I would love to give Speedy a big house I can’t afford a shed, I’m a single mum and live in Carer and money is very tight! I have ordered the same hutch/shed as b4, I hope the link works!! It’s on a previous topic ‘Speedys new enclosure’

https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/sit ... =11&t=1070

This is just for daytime, at night she sleeps in an indoor meter cupboard, until I can’t lift her anymore anyway! At the moment I lift her over her fence and she walks herself indoors, so sweet!! The hutch is supposed to be somewhere she can warm up/keep dry if weather isn’t great or have a nap....but last year before the fire she was in it a lot...asleep! That’s why I’m wondering about a uvb.
I’m not having the wire pen on it this time and the little side door will be locked up!

I’m trying my best with what I have, this is why I think she maybe better off somewhere else, I dunno.

Bex x

lin

Post by lin » 02 Apr 2020, 23:24

Oh no, no no :o . So sorry Bex. I hadnt realised it was just for days and to heat up on chilly times. I thought you wanted to use it 24/7 and thats why I was going into detail about night time heat :oops: .

What you are proposing and if it is just for daytimes, then it will be fine. I can see if the bigger door is shut and a heat emitter or heat lamp will be fine in keeping it nice and warm. If its for warming up during summer then a heat lamp would be best over the hausen greenhouse heat tube.

I am truly sorry for the confusion on my part Bex and so sorry to cause you upset.
Of course you are doing fine and Speedy does look good with how you have done so far.
Please accept my apologys.
Lin

Bex

Post by Bex » 03 Apr 2020, 14:15

No worries, no need to apologise Lin! I don’t know if I put for daytime use in my 1st message!

It’s just that she was in there a lot during the day last summer so uvb was my main concern!

Also I don’t really want to build a big area yet as we are only able to live here while Nan is around, once she’s gone we will have to move and I don’t think I will be able to get a garden, so will def have to find her somewhere else then! But hoping that’s a while off yet! Just take each day as it comes at the moment.

I will use the same set up as before but add a sturdy wire mesh square shelf a cpl inches under the heat lamp, too avoid any accidents and have the door open as much as poss! Also will have it up on bricks to raise it a bit more and a concrete paving slab floor this time! And make sure if I go out, to turn the lamp off!

Thanks for your advice, I really do appreciate it.
Bex x

lin

Post by lin » 03 Apr 2020, 21:09

Thanks Bex and it will be ideal.
Pics when finished please.

Lin

Bex

Post by Bex » 03 Apr 2020, 22:10

Would this be enough for the inside or do I need a stronger/longer one?
Or just leave her to walk about and just nap inside?
I don’t wanna cause her any health probs by not giving her enough uvb!

Oh I’ve just noticed it’s not D3! Back to searching!
Attachments
65ECDF53-54C5-4802-AC68-566E16E3E360.jpeg

Bex

Post by Bex » 05 Apr 2020, 17:27

Haha haha CANNOT believe how much she has grown in ONE year :lol: :lol:

She can just get in it but gonna have to extend the opening and widen the door soon...seriously I am in shock!!
Attachments
9D13A8F9-F67E-4E46-851F-0D5EB7171836.jpeg

Bex

Post by Bex » 08 Apr 2020, 15:51

Ok so I’ve set up the heat lamp, I’m really pleased I found a dome with a wire grill, also still gonna use the wire shelf for double protection! :)
I am only running it on an extension til I can find an electrician to do me an outdoor plug, but obviously will be home for a while due to current circumstances, so will be close at hand!
Still waiting for the UVB stuff to arrive, but pleased so far 8-)
Attachments
2706ACEE-20BD-46B1-8922-E6849B9BC33F.jpeg
2706ACEE-20BD-46B1-8922-E6849B9BC33F.jpeg (33.46 KiB) Viewed 13508 times
9D4B37CE-6763-4B3C-B4FD-8B9BB8A2308C.jpeg
9D4B37CE-6763-4B3C-B4FD-8B9BB8A2308C.jpeg (24.6 KiB) Viewed 13508 times
111D6BBD-5586-4E59-AD02-1C86990C354E.jpeg
111D6BBD-5586-4E59-AD02-1C86990C354E.jpeg (30.89 KiB) Viewed 13508 times

Bex

Post by Bex » 05 May 2020, 11:28

Hi guys, hope all are keeping well!

I’ve finally finished the daytime outhouse for Speedy, also happy to say she goes in & out a lot so she seems ok with it!! Was so worried she wouldn’t use it :)
Attachments
AB5491BB-FDC5-41A2-B0F4-5DEE6FC307E7.jpeg
DEA3915F-2E09-4E65-A44B-83855D7A31B6.jpeg