Best UVB bulb

Use this forum to discuss any aspect of tortoise housing and enclosures. Upload and show pictures of your set ups (enclosures).
Bex

Best UVB bulb

Post by Bex » 29 Jan 2020, 12:19

Oh dear -- don't know what i've done, but I replied to your post, posted my reply, and I seem to have deleted your post! So I've cut and pasted your post underneath the one i just wrote, below. Not sure how that all happened, but many apologies:

Hi Bex,

Ooh, nasty. Was it a heat/light/UVB combined mercury vapour bulb or a fluorescent strip light? If a strip light then use the T5 12% one. I have a 4' one that runs the length of the table (well, the table is 7' but part of that is sleeping area), so they get the rays almost anywhere they are.
If it is a fluorescent strip light, do check that your starter unit will accommodate anything slightly different from what you had, as I changed bulbs once and had to get a new starter unit as well.

Nina

Best UVB bulb

Unread post by Bex » 29 Jan 2020, 12:19
Hi guys,

Speedys UVB light has stopped working and need to get a replacement but it shattered when I removed it and I dunno wat strength it was!! All glass safe, was outside so no worries with her feet etc...
I usually keep the boxes but can’t find it, probably got thrown in the move!
Do I get a desert 10% 15W?

Thanks x

Bex

Re: Best UVB bulb

Post by Bex » 05 Feb 2020, 07:18

Thanks Nina, it was the fluorescent strip and all sorted now!

Cannot wait til spring and they can go outside again, the both of them are driving me mad indoors :lol:

Nina

Re: Best UVB bulb

Post by Nina » 05 Feb 2020, 08:48

Glad it's sorted and i know what you mean about wanting Spring to come. Fortunately mine are still in hibernation, but due to wake up at the beginning of March and it still won't be warm enough for them to go out much. Our climate has a lot to answer for!

Nina