Suitable wood for building outdoor enclosure

Use this forum to discuss any aspect of tortoise housing and enclosures. Upload and show pictures of your set ups (enclosures).
Teddy28

Suitable wood for building outdoor enclosure

Post by Teddy28 » 04 Jun 2017, 15:00

Hi, just need a little advice please, we 're planning a secure outdoor enclosure so we can leave Tortollini outside unsupervised. We'll have to build on patio so planning to raise slightly off floor to allow drainage but what i'm not sure about is if we're ok using decking boards from wickes - which are described as 'pressure treated'?

Grateful for any advice thanks

lin

Re: Suitable wood for building outdoor enclosure

Post by lin » 04 Jun 2017, 19:05

Hiya.
Hopefully the others will come in on this and give you their thoughts too, but just to start off you might like to look in the drop down menu under care and go into the enclosures where you will find both indoor and outdoor ideas.
I am not sure if the decking will be any good because I just use lengths of timber and her my OH to do what needs to be done.
I know thats not very helpful but hold on and see who comes in.

Lin

Bigjoe

Post by Bigjoe » 05 Jun 2017, 02:56

Lin I'll jump on this when back from Kentucky...hold on I did do a build for set-ups like this a year or so back ...write up is over on the Tortoise Trust site ..link below but you'll have to sign in to view pics..I'll get busy as soon as back in the U.K
http://www.tortoisetrustforum.org/phpbb ... 18&t=11267

Teddy28

Post by Teddy28 » 05 Jun 2017, 07:40

Thanks Lin and BigJoe i look forward to hearing more.

Nina

Post by Nina » 05 Jun 2017, 09:01

Hi Teddy,

It is definitely worth reading Joe's thread on the Tortoise Trust forum (link in his email above) -- excellent instructiions on how to build it and photos. You will have to register for the Forum, but it's easy, and you can always unregister afterwards if you want to. It's a great enclosure that he has made.

Nina

Teddy28

Post by Teddy28 » 05 Jun 2017, 15:51

Thanks Nina I 'll take a look. Looking out the window I think a wooden row boat might be more in order, not stopped raining all day!

Elaine

Post by Elaine » 05 Jun 2017, 16:38

Is this when we say the gardens need it?

I've seen Big Joe's enclosure that he has posted a link to. It really does do the job well, you can go bigger depending on the size of your tortoise and also add a 'lid' to one end if the rain is that bad. I learnt about Lumisol Clear from Big Joe, it is a heavy plastic that allows UV through. It may be worth filtering this into your Grande Design, but not all over as it really does hold the temperature.

Teddy, I'd also read the replies on the link Joe gave as they too offer some good information.

Please take some step by step pictures, we all love a new build.

PS
I've used the decking boards for a tortoise setup but had breeze blocks as the frame work and the decking as a seat at the top. I'll take some pictures asap.

Elaine
Elaine on behalf of The Tortoise Table (T.T.T.).

Teddy28

Post by Teddy28 » 05 Jun 2017, 18:25

Thanks Elaine, I 've registered on Tortoise Trust website just waiting to be accepted then I 'll have a good read. Lumisol Clear sounds interesting thanks. Breeze block base sounds ideal, unfortunately our outdoor enclosure will just have to be wood as it 'll be a semi permanent arrangement until we move house. We 've limited space on patio and I need him to be nearer house than garden and away from prying eyes.
Yes I like progress photos too!

Teddy28

Post by Teddy28 » 06 Jun 2017, 15:10

Hi all, i've been able to view Joe's posts and photos on tortoise trust forum, really helpful and lots of useful ideas.
Joe, what type of mesh is it , it looks extremely sturdy and i've not seen any like that before?
Thanks

lin

Post by lin » 06 Jun 2017, 16:52

Joe does build some special enclosures - worth their weight in gold for protecting the little ones when outdoors. The idea is that you can take his ideas and adjust then to the shape and size that you need and make then to be specific for your needs. They could also be built so they can be removed when you move by bolting them in sections and using a small bracket or metal angle to hold them down. The breeze blocks Elaine mentioned don't need to be fixed of the patio either. You could use those for height, use the decking or lumbar above that as Joe shows. The security grill can be made to fit after. I believe the grid Joe uses would have been a fairly heavy gauge inch or two square wire you could get online but perhaps a chicken wire would be enough.
Just thinking out loud really.
Let us know what you come up with.

Lin

Teddy28

Post by Teddy28 » 06 Jun 2017, 22:44

Thanks Lin,
It's all very helpful and I'm hoping today's weather was a mere blip in our beautiful summer.
T'was heartening to see His Nibs stretched out in his indoor table, under his sunlamp this morning as I set forth to the wet and windy hills to forage for his weeds!
They get a grip of you, these little creatures don't they!!

lin

Post by lin » 07 Jun 2017, 00:30

Oh yes, they sure do get under our skin.
Its been horrid here today and all mine skulked around kicking their heels wondering whats going on.
Hope you had an enjoyable hunt for weeks and the brolly wasn't to wet on your return :lol:

Lin

Bigjoe

Post by Bigjoe » 08 Jun 2017, 13:21

I'm just about to fly back to the U.K today,I'll get some more picks up with build details over the weekend to give you some ideas.

Nina

Post by Nina » 08 Jun 2017, 19:11

Hope you have a smooth trip back, Joe. Did you see lots of lovely turtles?

Nina

Teddy28

Post by Teddy28 » 12 Jun 2017, 22:42

Thanks Joe

Bigjoe

Post by Bigjoe » 13 Jun 2017, 20:55

Hi Teddy28 I've got to try to resize pictures to post for you,I've taken more of my Horsfield set-up for you,the green steel mesh was built at my workshop,welded mesh to L shape steel them powder coated for a tough safe Finnish,they are very heavy to lift,this was on purpose to make it extremely difficult for anyone but me to get into the set-up,scaffold boards used in the main frame..cheap to buy and again very heavy if the set-up is of a large size,all varnished with marine grade satin varnish,safe when dry but toxic straight out of the can ( when liquid form )..size ,landscaping,drainage and good security are key when building a set-up...more to come
Not to bad of a trip back Nina...lots of pictures of Turtles for you...some excellent ones of hatchling river cooters..size of a quarter.

Teddy28

Post by Teddy28 » 15 Jun 2017, 21:13

Hi Joe
Thought I d already replied to your post but it's not showing. I was wondering where to buy scaffold boards from?
Teddy28

lin

Post by lin » 15 Jun 2017, 22:28

Hi Teddy28
I dont know where Joe gets his boards from but I have just seen Wicks do them --
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Products/Buildi ... /c/1009002
A bit expensive but I am sure Joe will let you know of a cheaper option when he gets on here.

Lin

Teddy28

Post by Teddy28 » 16 Jun 2017, 14:56

Thanks Lin

Bigjoe

Post by Bigjoe » 18 Jun 2017, 09:54

eBay Teddy..just picked up 3 yesterday..13 ft boards £12 each..go for the ones that have not passed the safety checks and cannot be used for scaffolding.they are new..no sanding for you,but you need to go and pick them yourself as you don't want any with splits down them..

Bigjoe

Post by Bigjoe » 18 Jun 2017, 09:59

Just checked for you on eBay and there's lots out there for sale..go for the new ones as I've mentioned..it's a lot less work.
Your need to seal them when your build is done,I've always used marine grade varnish to seal the wood..tough stuff and safe.

Teddy28

Post by Teddy28 » 19 Jun 2017, 15:52

Thanks again Joe